This blog has moved to:
http://sabarish.net/blog


The joys of working - Free Time!

The good thing about office is once I’m home I’m jobless and totally free! No home work to do, no assignments to complete, nothing. This is so unlike school/college, where there is always some work or the other to do and deadlines to keep.

Anyway back to the office situation – now I suddenly have all this free time in the evenings and weekends and so to use up this time, I now indulge (big time) in some of the many forms of entertainment available, mainly - movies, music, books and friends.

I was never completely into movies earlier and used to watch around one or two (max) movies a week. I hardly watch TV and prefer spending my time with my girl friend ( my computer! ;~) ). When I was in school I used to read a lot of books. The frequency dropped while in college, but never stopped.

My parents always complain that I have too many friends and this is true to an extent, but I am not complaining!! I have so many groups of friends that sometimes it gets hard to cope with all of them properly, but its a lot of fun. I like to make friends and though I am slightly reserved initially, once enough time passes, I come out of the shell and my friends will remain so for life. I still keep in touch and regularly meet with my 1st standard school friend!

Anyway, over the past 2 – 3 weeks, I watched more movies and read more books (ofcourse some of these movies/books I’ve watched/read earlier also) and went out to meet my friends more than I used to do over a full semester or two in college!

Some of the movies that I watched are -

English:

  • Equilibrium – Good to see once.

  • Pulp Fiction – Awesome movie!

  • Philadelphia – Nice movie and nice acting

  • Reservoir Dogs – I love Quenton Tarantino

  • Shawshank Redemption – Beautiful movie!

  • The Usual Suspects – Great ending!

  • Transporter2 – Ok

  • Sahara - Ok

  • Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Not as good as the book. Not even close.

  • Batman Begins - Wokay

  • The School of Rock – Rocking movie!

  • Good Morning, Vietnam

Tamil:

  • Anniyan – Great acting by Vikram – one of my favourite actors

  • Manmathan – Nice story with a twist!

Hindi:

  • Paheli – How the hell did this get nominated for the Oscars???

  • Bunty Aur Bubli – Fun Fun Fun!

  • Chocolate – Copy of The Usual Suspects – but not half as good

  • Iqbal – Nice movie

Some of the books that I read are -


  • The Mahabharata by Chakravarthi Narasimha – Came highly recommended and was a great read, especially to understand the main story of the epic, without any distractions.

  • Ka by Roberto Calasso

  • Valmiki Ramayana by Arshia Suttar – One of the best translations of the original Valmiki Ramayana.

  • Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling –Time pass.

  • Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok K Banker – Awesome! Read my review in an earlier post.

  • Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – Need I say anything?!

  • Siege of Mithila by Ashok K Banker – Roller coaster ride with the Princes and the Seer!

  • The Icarus Agenda by Robert Ludlum

  • Demons of Chitrakut by Ashok K Banker – Fascinating! Watch out for my review.

As far as I remember, I’ve managed to put down all the movies/books, but I am pretty sure I have missed out on a few items that I could have added to the above lists. Anyway it was incredible fun ‘living’ the above lists!

As I write this blog post, I've already made plans for another movie - Hanuman! I will be going to watch this movie with a friend this evening!

Life as a professional is good!

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 10/21/2005 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Being a Bangalorean, atleast try to mention something about Kannada movies or atleast Kannada!

 
At 10/21/2005 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Sabarish said...

@ Sandesh -

I did want to see Jogi very much - and we were almost in the queue at PVR - but a friend of mine (a Kannadiga that too!) didn't want to see it - so we ended up seeing Iqbal.

Haven't got the chance to go for it after that...but I should see it sometime soon, cuz I heard it's really good.

 
At 10/24/2005 01:53:00 AM, Blogger Rohan said...

"Paheli – How the hell did this get nominated for the Oscars???"

King khan is close to Sonia Gandhi... very very simple.

 
At 10/24/2005 02:03:00 AM, Blogger Sabarish said...

"King khan is close to Sonia Gandhi... very very simple. "

Ah! The powers of influence. But should it come at the cost of better movies being rejected?

I doubt if India will ever win an oscar if this is how the selections are done.

 
» Post a Comment